Saturday 18 April 2015

I cried anytime I failed in athletics – Omeiza

Nigeria’s quarter-miler, Akerele Omeiza, has had his life turned around since swapping football boots for athletics spikes. The Oral Roberts University, United States of America undergraduate in this interview says his target this year is to win medals at the World Championship and All Africa Games. Excerpts…

How did you get into athletics?
It was just coincidental. I used to play football when I was in school, UNIBEN Demonstration Secondary School, Benin. I was very fast, it was then our sport master, a certain Mr. Akinboyewa, advised that I should go for track and field. That was in 2010, I was about leaving school. The beginning was very rough for me, it was a new sport and I had to learn the rudiments of the game properly. Sometimes when I failed, I cried but thank God today for where I am.

In what ways has athletics changed your life?
It has changed my life for the better. I now have opportunities that I wouldn’t have if I were not an athlete. No other sport could have taken me to this height like athletics within a very short period of my career. In athletics, when you work hard and are mentally disciplined, then you can easily get to the pinnacle of your career.
School in the United States
I am in a Christian school in the United States, although I had offers from other bigger schools, but I chose Oral Roberts University because of the all-round development it offers. In ORU it is not just about training or studying alone, they place more emphasis on the training of the mind and the spirit. We often neglect the spiritual aspect of our life or sometimes relegate it to the background, but they take it serious there. I am very sure that by the time I leave the school I will be a better human being.
Can you name some of the events you’ve participated in?
I am opportune to have won a lot of medals especially at the junior level. I was at the Commonwealth
Games
and the African Championship last year with Team Nigeria, and although I did not take part in any of the events the experience cannot be quantified. I was there at the World Junior and the World Youth Championship in 2013 and 2014 respectively. It’s been progress for me as an athlete.

What was your parents’ reaction to your choice of career?
They have been supportive, although they didn’t want it to take the place of education in my life; they always wanted me to take my education seriously and that is what I am doing now.
Now that you are combining both…
They are really proud of what I have achieved within a very short time especially now that I am making progress in my studies and career as an athlete. They still support me with prayers and in any other ways.
Who bought your first training kits for you?
It was my coach in Nigeria, Kayode Yaya and another coach, Chima Osuagwu. They took me under their wings and molded me to what I am today. All what I am today I give thanks to God and the two of them. I was a big rascal when I was young, I used to fight, indulge in vices associated with youths of my age, but the coaches made me understand that I can channel my energy to achieve positive things. That I can use my energy positively to better my life as a human being. Thank God I listened to them.
What makes you happy?
It is just God, the peace of God surpasses all human understanding. Whenever I am down, I always look up to God and He has always been there for me. As a man I have learnt to put my trust in God because He alone can do it. Often when things don’t work my way like what I experienced in Ethiopia I take solace in Him.
I went for the competition in Ethiopia with high hopes but I fell ill on arrival; at the end I was able to take just a bronze medal with the 4x400m team, that was enough to affect anyone, but for me, my inner peace cannot be influenced by external events, it comes from God alone.
What are your next targets?

I want to be at the World Championship and the All Africa Games, not just to attend, but to win medals for my country, and then the big one next year the Olympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chi Adz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Women in sports

TOP STORIES