Saturday 7 March 2015

AJC 2015: Ogba entices athletes with dollars

The president of the Athletic Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Chief Solomon Ogba, on Friday challenged the Nigeria athletes competing at the ongoing African Junior Athletics Championship in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to win more medals and be rewarded with the sum of $50 for each gold medallist.
Speaking to the athletes in their hotel after dinner on Friday, Ogba said to win the
championship, Nigeria must be able to win 12 gold medals, and with four already in the bag after Day Two, the remaining athletes that are yet to compete must aim for gold in their events.

He applauded the athletes for their behaviour since the beginning of the competition while also admonishing them to maintain the standard.
“I am glad with the good reports I have been receiving from your coaches, and I want you to continue in same vein,” he said.
“I am going to drop money for 12 gold medals and I will not be happy if my money is return to me.
“I want those of you that are yet to compete to strive hard to win gold in all your events and I will be glad to pay more to exceptional athletes.”
On the allowances for the athletes, he said they should bear with him as he has been in contact with the minister and hopefully everything would be sorted out.
Ogba said: “I am not happy with our inability to pay your allowances, but you should understand that this is the period of election and the ministry is yet to get their yearly subvention.
“I can assure you that all your allowances will be paid. To start with, all of you will get $100 each and the balance immediately we get back to the Nigeria.”

He also disclosed that President Goodluck Jonathan will either receive the athletes in Nigeria immediately after the competition or later at a reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chi Adz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Women in sports

TOP STORIES