Saturday 20 December 2014

My wife is lucky to ‘hook’ me – Gbolahan Salami

My wife is lucky to ‘hook’ me – Gbolahan Salami

Super Eagles and Warri Wolves striker Gbolahan Salami will be walking down the aisle tomorrow (Sunday) with his fiancee. The striker speaks of his seemingly aggressive style on the pitch, club exploits, dream of moving to Europe in the next transfer window and more in this interview with CHARLES OGUNDIYA. Excerpts

Wedding bells
It is a good thing to have someone very special in your life. I am happy that a thing like this is happening in my life. When someone has a partner it will make things very easy. This is an opportunity for me to say this, I am so happy to be taking a new step in my life. Marriage is another phase of my life and I am glad I have made this move.
The lucky girl
Her name is Opeloyeru Lolade, but seriously like you said, I believe she is a lucky girl. Most ladies will give anything to hook up with a star and for her to be the apple of my eyes, I am sure she is very lucky. For her to give me a chance, I am a lucky guy too. My prayer now to God is for the union to open doors for me because I am planning to take my football career to Europe by January.
League top scorer record
I was in the camp for most of that period. Of course the players in the league couldn’t be expected to wait for me and I was not ready to leave the national team camp for the league. So it was all about priority, and cementing my position in the national team was my priority.
Regrets
I don’t have any regret at all. I am happy with my output this season, since my days in the Nigerian league I have not had it so good; scoring 17 goals in a season was a big record for me, I am happy.
Warri Wolves
I was able to have my best season in Warri Wolves because of the attitude of the management, the technical crew and my teammates. The encouragement from all of them was awesome. In all the clubs I have played for in the NPFL, Warri Wolves stand out. This is the first club where I will not be sanctioned for quarrelling with anybody and it shows I am enjoying my game. I can say Warri Wolves is my best club ever.
Supposedly aggressive nature
My attitude on the pitch sometimes gives me away, but the truth is I am not a difficult person just that people misunderstand me. I don’t just fight unnecessarily, something must have triggered my annoyance. When you promised me something and you didn’t deliver, of course there will be quarrel.
Comparison with Mario Balotelli
Balotelli is a player I love although I don’t know how the nickname came about, I believe the way I play on the field may have prompted the nickname. I love his style of play and character.
AFCON 2015
As a player I am not happy to miss out from participating in Africa’s greatest showpiece and I know all Nigerians are in the same frame of mind as me. What makes it more painful is the fact that I have never had it so good in the national team. In the past I have been in and out of the team, but since I was invited this year, I have maintained my position and that is a big advantage and a good thing for me as a player.
Prolific season in the league
I was surprised with the output of some of the players in the league this season and this has shown that the league has improved more than what we had in the past. I am looking forward to doing more next season; that is if I am still playing in the league.
Growing up
It was not easy while growing up. I started my career on Lagos Island and my major source of encouragement has been God because without Him, I don’t think I will be where I am today. I wouldn’t say my parents were rich or poor but things were okay in my family as a kid growing up. I enjoyed my family and that is why I am trying to make them happy by working hard to get to the top. My parents gave me the desired support to play football, because they knew that I was destined to become a footballer.
Chances of home-based players in the Eagles
The coach (Stephen Keshi) has been encouraging the home-based players in the national team and that is why the players have been giving their best in the league to get invitations to the national team.
Assessment of the league
I can’t say our league is the best in Africa. We need to put in more effort because it is our game. Most of us play here before thinking of playing in Europe, but it’s not easy for the players in the domestic league. The fact is that if you don’t play well here at home, nobody will invite you to Europe.
CHAN outing
That was the first tournament I played for the Super Eagles and I was so happy that the tournament was hosted by South Africa. I had a contract there that was terminated, so I wanted to prove myself. It was not because I didn’t know how to play football. I was also happy because the club (Sundowns) officials saw my performance and they came to congratulate me. But I felt sad when we lost to Ghana in the semifinals. However, I am happy to still be a part of the national team.
Mamelodi Sundowns’ misadventure

Only God knows what happened. The irony of it all is that people don’t believe my own version of what happened in South Africa. The belief here was that I had problems with the club’s management, but that is not true. The issue I had in South Africa was that of a work permit. Everything went on well but I couldn’t secure a work permit, which I needed before I could play in the South African league. I took everything in good faith because I believe things will be okay. That was why I came back to play in the domestic league once again, to prove myself as a good player and score goals.

By Newtelegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chi Adz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Women in sports

TOP STORIES