Friday 19 December 2014

Iwu ready to wait for Nigeria call



Heartland young goalkeeper Emmanuel Iwu has told supersport.com that he is ready to wait for the chance to play for Nigeria at under-20 level.
Iwu explained that if the chance to play for Nigeria's under-20s does not materialise he will focus his energy on working his way into any of the men's national teams - whether the under-23s or seniors.
"I am not disturbed about not being in the camp with the under-20 national team. I have been asked about this by most people, but I think the coaches know better and I do not think they should be pressured into selecting players against their will or plan.
"Nigeria is a big country with plenty of talent and I am just one. So I am always ready to wait for my turn. But if it doesn't come at the under-20 level, maybe I will have to work and focus harder with my club and ensure that I am called up for maybe the under-23 or even the Super Eagles, who knows? In football anything can happen," Iwu told supersport.com this week in Lagos after he was named Best New Goalkeeper in the NPFL at the 2014 League Bloggers Awards (LBA).
However, Iwu's focus is now on the upcoming NPFL season with Heartland.
Heartland finished in ninth place last term and 10 points behind Nigerian champions Kano Pillars. Iwu hopes the Naze Millionaires can challenge for the title next season.
"The season started slowly for us but I am hoping that we can start and end next season strongly and challenge for the title," he said.
Iwu made his NPFL debut with Heartland in the southeast derby against Enyimba in April this year. He kept a clean sheet in his team's 1-0 win after coming off the bench for Ebere Obi.
From supersport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chi Adz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Women in sports

TOP STORIES